Saturday, April 10, 2010

Obscurity in Mark's Gospel account II

Okay...here is another verse/phrase that has captured my attention the past few weeks as I have read and re-read the Gospel accounts of Passion Week. It's found in Mark 15:43

"Joseph of Arimathea, a respected member of the Council, who was also himself looking for the kingdom of God, took courage and went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus."


I have read this verse many, many times and yet, the phrase 'looking for the kingdom of God' is what really provoked me. Luke also describes him in this way while Matthew and John use the phrases 'a follower of Jesus' and a 'disciple of Jesus'. I have grown accustomed to the phrases that Matthew and John used. However, for some reason, the phrase that Mark and Luke used helped me understand Joseph a little better. Joseph was a member of the Sanhedrin council, he was a respected man in the community and obviously wealthy. He was surrounded by those that had long cashed in their desire to see the Kingdom come and had instead, decided to create their own kingdom. They were all still religious and were pursuing their 'kingdom' in the name of religion...but they were all about themselves. And this Jesus...this carpenter from Nazareth was beginning to really cramp their style. He was questioning and confronting their pursuit. It had to stop. People were beginning to actually listen to Him. And these religious leaders, while they would probably say they were looking for the 'Rescuer to come'...they had long given up on that and were taking matters into their own hands. If there were a 'Deliverer'...He would have to come on their terms and conform to their religion...because they were there first. They had a pretty good thing going.


Okay...so here is what really intrigued me about Mark and Luke's comment. Somehow...in the midst of this religious, self-seeking environment...Joseph was able to keep a heart for the things of God. Somehow...in this society that was built on the legalism of the law...Joseph continued to look for the True Kingdom. Not a kingdom built by hands. I love this picture. In the midst of all of those that were playing church....Joseph was able to keep his head above the peer pressure of religion. And I'm not even sure that the 'peer pressure' was intentional by the religious leaders...it just happens as more and more people begin to live and operate in a certain way. When everyone else was looking 'this' direction...Joseph was looking 'that' direction. Not by happen stance...but because He was still trusting in the things of God. He was still standing on the promises of the prophets. He was still studying the scriptures with awe and wonder. Somehow, he had been able to escape the entrapment of his riches, the notoriety of his standing in the community and the intoxicating power of his position on the ruling council. Of course, he wasn't the only one. Nicodemus helped him prepare and bury Jesus' body as well. But somehow...these guys were able to disengage from the popular theologies and practices of that day and to keep an eye out for God. Seems like a crazy statement since the Sanhedrin were the religious authorities.


What am I trying to say? I want to be like Joseph of Arimathea. No matter what...I want to be found 'looking for the Kingdom'. I don't want to be so self absorbed in my own ministry, religion or religious pursuits that I miss the plan of God. I want to be able to keep my head above the status quo of religion. I want to be ready for God to do a new and fresh work that may not go over well with the establishment. I want to recognize when God is moving and 'take courage' to follow Him. I believe that while we are working and pursuing God's Kingdom here on earth...that there is a greater Kingdom to come. I am afraid there have been many times that I 'loved this world' and have gotten caught up in my own pursuits and interests in the name of religion and supposedly 'pursuing God'. I have pursued my own kingdom. My gut level, heart wrenching cry is that God will keep my eyes fresh and my heart open to what He is doing. That I might read His Word with wonder and awe and worship Him with great affection, deeper intellect and Holy Spirit infused Truth.


"God...help me to live with this perspective that Joseph had. Give me a heart today to take courage and follow after You."

No comments:

Post a Comment