Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Obscurity in Mark's Gospel account

Recently I challenged our choir and worship ministry staff at Second Baptist to spend the month of March reading thru each of the Gospel accounts of Passion Week. While Matthew, Mark and Luke are very similar, John gives us a completely different perspective on the happenings of that week. But even within the Synoptics (Matt., Mark, Luke), there are little nuances that set each one apart from the other. Though I have read thru these accounts numerous times, for some reason (this time) I was drawn to a particular detail that is only mentioned in Mark's writing. It's found in Mark 14:51-52 and it reads...

"And a certain young man was following him, clothed in a linen sheet over his naked body. And they tried to seize him, but he left the linen sheet and escaped naked."

What? Did I read that right? Wait...did I miss something or where did that come from? It's such a jarring comment that comes out of nowhere. I've probably had 10-12 questions about those two verses in the past month from those that have been reading the accounts. "Why?", "What's the use?" they have asked. Many have speculated as to the purpose and significance of those two ambiguous verses. So...since I believe that the Word of God is the most intentional book ever written and I believe that every word of it has the power to speak...here is where I am with those two verses:

1) Since these verses aren't included in the other two Synoptic Gospels, it seems to follow that only Mark felt this was significant enough to include. Additionally, there's pretty good evidence that the Last Supper that Christ shared with His disciples took place at John Mark's house (house of Mary, John Mark's mother). With those things in mind, it seems to make sense that the 'young man' in the sheet was probably Mark himself. Further logic would extend to say that Judas returned to Mark's house with the Temple police only to find that Jesus had already left for the Garden of Gethsemane. The stirring probably woke Mark and in his haste to get to the garden, he wrapped himself in his bed linen and left to warn the others. This seems to be the most logical explanation to most of the writers/commentators I have read.

2) So why am I drawn to this? Well, first of all, because I have had so many questions about it lately. It has peaked my interest as well. Secondly...I have wondered what God could say to me and His people thru these verses since they are as inspired as John 3:16 (and every other passage!). What was it about these verses that caused Mark to say... "I need to include these details in the writings". He obviously, intentionally put them in...and the Holy Spirit obviously led Him to do it. So...why? Well, here is where it becomes more subjective...but here is what God has seemed to speak to my heart:

a) First of all, by including these two verses...Mark is saying "I was there". I am an eye witness to what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane...and possibly at the Last Supper. He wants us to know, without stating it, that he was there.

b) I believe we see the passion of a Christ follower in Mark and these two verses. We see humility in that he was so captivated by Jesus...he wasn't concerned with himself or his appearance. Much like David, he was willing to become undignified to follow his King. It may not have even been a conscious decision but he just responded out of his love for Jesus, not considering what others might think. It portrays a raw sense of following Jesus yet tempered with some uncertainty and pensiveness.

c) I am reminded and convicted of my own questions and desire to follow Jesus from a distance at times...my need to have it all figured out before I fully commit or come out of the shadows. I like to manage risk as much as possible. Following Jesus is filled with what we call 'risk' which is really only our perceived control (or lack of control) over our circumstances. This is the very heart of the issue for following Jesus...trust...hope...FAITH!

So...I don't think we'll every really know for certain who this 'young man' was. Some have even speculated that it was Jesus' brother, James and then again others have thought possibly the Apostle John. Regardless, it was intentionally written and included by Mark in his gospel. It's worthy of study and asking God to speak to us thru it. I have been challenged, convicted and encouraged by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment